Speed Up My Job Search

Resumes: Night / Weekend Submission to Job Sites

• I have been to a lot of web-sites and they have mixed feelings about submitting resumes over the weekend or over a long weekend. Some of them have even said the weekend is a dead pile for the recruiters are not their to see the resumes coming in or if they are received and queued and they are at the bottom of the queue list and ignored…. Same thing with nightly submissions.

I know there are delayed sends with some email packages, where you can send resumes during work hours when the recruiter is there to increase your contact chances.

But my question relates to long weekend, company websites, cold resume submissions
    and what is the best thing to do to do to increase your chances of contact from a resume submission or let me say it this way…. I have a long weekend what should I do to continue the job hunt.

Paul Cameron
    Keymaster

Mike, thanks for asking this question because I know conversation about this has been going around so it’s on people’s minds. The answer is probably not what you want to hear, but the fact is that companies go through their resumes differently, at different times. MANY recruiters are planning their days between 8pm and 10pm, so that’s when they are culling through the new applicants to determine who to call the next day. Others go through this first thing in the morning. Still others have assistants going through them first to eliminate the resumes that are obvious non-fits.

However, based on what I learned interviewing hiring managers on our radio show Job Talk over 6 years, I can tell you that an overwhelming majority of the people who are reviewing resumes are not spending more than 30 seconds looking at it, most were between 7 to 15 seconds.

Guessing what time of day a company will look at resumes is not in your control, so I don’t recommend spending energy on that. But understanding there is a high probability that someone who does not understand your skill set will be reviewing your resume and determining if the hiring manager should see it or not, IS something to consider. That’s why it’s so important to customize your resume to every job, matching the keywords used in the description in the proper places on your resume. I’d recommend going back to watch the “Customizing you resume” video and use the template from that page. The content of the resume will yield far better results than trying to guess the timing.

I hope that helps! Thanks again for posting the question.
    Paul

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.