Speed Up My Job Search

Technology Tips…….Questions

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated by .
  • Creator
    Topic
    Paddy

Allow me to start with the fact that I am solely a LinkedIn User and a resume submitter having shared that allow me to go off on my tangent….

1. I have modified my linked in profile today to reflect my handbill…
      This is primarily due to a low volume of LinkedIn recruiter solicitations
      But my question is How can I find my self like a recruiter would using linkedin

2. I appreciate the alerts aspect but that raised a question, allow me to elaborate.
      (A) Approach – find a job you are interested in attempt to reach out to the recruiter
      entering into a form of dialog before sending resume to customize it
      (B) Approach – Alert received (send a non-customized resume if that alert allows it)
      to be the first person sending the resume (get there first)

or should a individual….use the alert to customize and then submit ????

3. Presence – Should a person upload their generic resume to monster, indeed, ladders,
      simplyhired etc….or a handbill of some type to receive solicitations ????

* doesn’t that dilute the product brand

4. Breakdown of Time:
      How much search time, should a person spend on
      (1) Applitrack – Positions
      (2) Specific Company Job Sites
      (3) Networking Warm leads
      (4) Cold Calls

I could be taking things out of perspective and not looking at the grey areas only the black and white of it. But I was wondering what I am missing or not understanding.

• Replies
      • For #1, be sure to watch Denis Curtin’s presentation in the JDNG Archive. That’s the best LinkedIn optimization presentation I’ve ever seen. That will help.
        2, Rather than reaching out to the recruiter, find the hiring manager, and always customize the resume whenever possible.
        3, uploading the public sites depends on your urgency to get responses. If you post, you’ll get more, but you’ll also make your product (you) less scarce, therefore less valuable. Whereas if you targeted them, your value goes up. But to the 2nd half of the question, NEVER post a handbill. Handbills often have a picture (as I’ve seen yours does), and they list other target companies, which you definitely don’t want to share with potential employers. Even without these two aspects, it may present too fluffy and not enough substance, so I wouldn’t recommend posting a handbill.
        4, The daily planner should be a good guideline help you plan your time on each segment. You don’t have to follow it verbatim, just use it to help spark ideas of what will work best for you and your personal schedule.

I hope that helps. The key is to identify a consistent action plan that you can accomplish daily, and keep you focused on the search at least in some way, every day, so leads don’t slip by. Leads are perishable items, and expire quickly, so it’s critical to be able to react in a quality way, quickly, when you see them.

• I have been Lucky enough to meet and work with Denis and feel that his presentation style helps me feel more comfortable with who I am and who I present as a brand (OMG -Brand)
        I will watch on JDNG (now that I am open minded and have seen the light) 🙂

As for

Uploading the public sites depends on your urgency to get responses. If you post, you’ll get more, but you’ll also make your product (you) less scarce, therefore less valuable. Whereas if you targeted them, your value goes up. But to the 2nd half of the question, NEVER post a handbill. Handbills often have a picture (as I’ve seen yours does), and they list other target companies, which you definitely don’t want to share with potential employers. Even without these two aspects, it may present too fluffy and not enough substance, so I wouldn’t recommend posting a handbill.

I appreciate, your view…it is correct

One time, I reached out to any and every ad…..that existed on a board (lets use Career builder as an example) it was a night mare… will elaborate more in the miscellaneous section.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.