Speed Up My Job Search

Follow up – create employer incentive

• Hi Paul et al,

I’m posting my question here in case it could benefit others. Believe it or not I attempted to condense the story.

Through networking I had a brief phone call with the hiring manager about an associate-level role they have posted. During our conversation he mentioned a new manager-level position that he is working to get approval for and said he would have his current manager call me. The manager and I had a good conversation on Monday and he shared that the new position would be created by splitting his responsibilities since he currently covers the entire country. He also shared that the person previously in the associate-level role was bored and I assume left. He explained both roles twice to ensure I understood them.

After our conversation I emailed the hiring manager to let him know that we connected, to repeat my interest in the positions, emphasize my qualifications based on the conversations, and to stress my eagerness to discuss where I can add the most value to his team. I also asked for the managers email so I could send him a Thank You.

In the meantime, a recruiter, at another company that is seeking to fill numerous positions in my skill area, called to setup a call. However, the former position is a better match for my skills, interest and work satisfaction.

Questions:
    Are there ways to create incentive for eamployers to “close a deal” with approval of the manager-level position pending?
    Are there ways to professionally mention other possible opportunities to create incentive?
    Are there circumstances where it would be advisable to take the associate-level position with the hope or an agreement to get the manager-level position?

Paul Cameron
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting this so everyone can see. While it can be challenging to get an employer to move faster, it definitely possible, but only after they’ve expressed at least some interest. I can’t tell from your description if they’ve tipped their hand yet that they are in fact interested yet, so that will be important. A great way to find that out in future interviews is to make sure you find out next steps before closing any interviews. If you watch the Q&A tactics video under the Interview tab, you’ll see how to do that.

Once you know there’s at least some interest, even if it’s just that they want to talk with you again, mentioning the other opportunity should get them to move. You MUST be tactful in how you present it though. Any time you talk about another opportunity, it needs to be said in the context of explaining that your interest in their position, that their job sounds exactly like what you were looking for in your next opportunity, you’re only concern is that this other opportunity looks like it’s coming in sooner, and you’d hate to turn that other one down without knowing for sure this one was going to work out. That’s when you ask if they can meet with you sooner than they were anticipating. There are lots of ways of presenting this, by just being open with them that “I feel like I’m in a tough spot right now because this position is by far my first choice, but I’m not in a position to be able to turn the other one down…” The key is to make sure they know you are most interested in their job.

That should get them to move if they truly see potential with you getting that job. There’s an old adage in sales that if you run at a dog, it will run away, but if you run from the dog it will chase you. By mentioning the other position you are presenting the chance that you’re about to go the other direction.

You mentioned they have two positions and you’re open to both, so instead of focusing on having the most interest in their “position”, replace that with their company. Your top priority is to get into a company like XYZ, regardless of the position, but your hesitant to turn down another offer unless you’re confident this will work out.

I wouldn’t play the “other opportunity” card until you truly are very close to an offer though. If you play it too soon, that might create the wrong impression.

Regarding the Associate level position, I’d only recommend taking that if it’s something you can live with for a year or two. If they lose funding and can’t move you up, then you’re stuck in a lower level role and you’ll be explaining the step back on your resume to every future employer you talk to, and not in a good way. “Well when I was hired I was told this would only be temporary…” followed by, “…but then they lost funding…” which just says, “that company lied”, “that company is not financially stable”, and “look at how negative I am about my prior employers!” Remember, what you say about other people says more about you than it says about those other people.

Thanks for the post. Please remember to send me the updated resume you emailed me about yesterday so I can start your review on it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.